Osun Shooting: Police Confirm Davido Was Targeted, One Dead

Osun shooting

Osun shooting: Police say Davido was the target of an attack on Governor Adeleke’s convoy. One man died after being shot during the clash.

The Osun shooting has taken a new turn after the state police command confirmed that Nigerian music star David Adeleke, popularly known as Davido, was the target of the attack.

The incident happened on Wednesday in Osogbo during Governor Ademola Adeleke’s visit to the palace of the Ataoja of Osogbo.

Police said one person was killed during the confrontation.

DAILY POST reports that security personnel attached to Governor Adeleke engaged unidentified armed men in a gun duel.

Davido, who is the governor’s nephew, was with the governor and his children at the time.

Earlier, the group had visited the Independent National Electoral Commission, INEC, office. The governor was there to receive his Certificate of Return.

They later proceeded to the palace.

Police reveal what happened

Osun State Police Public Relations Officer, Abiodun Ojelabi, confirmed the incident.

He said preliminary investigations showed that members of the Eye Confraternity allegedly targeted Davido.

According to Ojelabi, a man identified as Adebayo Taoreed, also known as “Small Rugged”, tried to approach the singer.

Police described Taoreed as an ex-convict and alleged member of the cult group.

However, members of Davido’s security team stopped him.

The confrontation reportedly attracted other suspected gang members in the area.

The situation then escalated.

According to the police, the suspected gang members temporarily blocked the palace entrance.

They also obstructed the movement of the governor’s convoy.

Security personnel subsequently engaged the armed men in a gun battle.

One person confirmed dead

The police also confirmed a death linked to the Osun shooting.

A 60-year-old man, identified as Tajudeen Yusuf, was shot during the incident.

He was later taken to a hospital for treatment.

However, he died from his injuries.

The circumstances surrounding his death remain part of the ongoing investigation.

Police authorities have continued efforts to establish the full sequence of events and identify those involved.

Incident raises fresh concerns over political violence

The Osun shooting has also renewed concerns about violence in the state.

Political tensions have reportedly remained high around recent electoral activities.

The Accord Party previously alleged that more than 28 people were killed by suspected political thugs during the election period.

However, the All Progressives Congress, APC, rejected the allegation.

The party instead accused the Accord Party of sponsoring violence that resulted in the deaths of some of its members.

The rival claims have further heightened concerns over political violence in Osun.

For now, the police investigation is expected to establish what led to the confrontation and determine those responsible.

The confirmation that Davido was allegedly targeted has added another dimension to the incident.

Meanwhile, the death of Tajudeen Yusuf has increased pressure on security agencies to bring those behind the violence to justice.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

RECENT NEWS

WATCH

Rootv News © 2026 All Rights Reserved.